The most important possession we own is our health. Without good health, we would not be able to go places we wanted to go, do the things we desire, or accomplish our goals. As processed foods and convenience have become so prevalent in the everyday American culture, many of us have seemingly forgotten about the condition of our bodies and have established poor habits along the way. This can lead to an increase in susceptibility to illness, shorter life expectancy, and lessened stamina. Fortunately, there are many things that people can do to improve their health and get back on the path to wellness.
The following tips can all help you improve your health:
1. Watch your diet: Sugary, processed foods are void of nutrients and have addictive qualities that wreak havoc on a person’s health. Keep an eye on everything you consume and examine its contents. Stay away from foods that are high in fat, sugar, and sodium in favor of whole grains, organic fruits and vegetables, and lean meats. Cook your own meals whenever possible and steer clear of too much fast food. Your body will thank you for it!
2. Drink water: Our cells are like plants in that they start to wither without a sufficient supply of water. In fact, our bodies are composed of about 70% water. What many people do not realize is that our bodies lose a fair amount of water during sleep while breathing. To compensate, drink a glass of water first thing in the morning to rehydrate and continue to drink water at certain intervals throughout the day. Stay away from too many alcoholic and caffeinated beverages, as these substances can cause your body to lose more water than it takes in.
3. Get sufficient rest: Without sleep, our bodies can lose our natural circadian rhythm and start to malfunction, suppressing our immune system and causing us to be more susceptible to poor habits. Try to get a minimum of 8 hours of restful sleep per night and go to bed at a consistent time every night to establish a routine. Can’t sleep? Try listening to music, using a night mask, or replacing your mattress to improve your ability to fall asleep.
4. Exercise: Adults are encouraged to engage in at least 2 ½ hours of moderately intense exercise each week. Exercising for 30 minutes each day can help you stay lean and keep your stamina up to par. Not a fan of the gym? Try riding a bike, taking walks, or taking up a sport to stay active.
5. Quit smoking: Are you a smoker? One of the healthiest things you can do for your body is to kick the habit. No matter how long you have smoked, it is never too late to quit. Quitting smoking can help you to see immediate improvements to your health and at any age by reducing your risk of heart disease, cancer, and breathing problems such as asthma and emphysema. Many states offer free programs to help you quit smoking, making it so you will never have to face this struggle alone.
Fellowship-Certified Physical Therapists in Monmouth
One of the greatest benefits of staying in good shape is that it can help your body recover from injuries more quickly. If you should ever experience an injury and require physical therapy, a Monmouth physical therapist from ProFysio Physical Therapy can guide you step-by-step through your recovery towards a pain-free future. With individualized care plans and state-of-the-art technology, we can help you overcome your ailments and help you get back towards a healthy, active lifestyle.
For more information, call us at (732) 333-6360 or schedule an appointment online today.