Working on your body’s core strength can do a lot more for your health than just giving you toned abs. While achieving a slim, muscular figure can be a great motivation to do upper-body exercises, it is not the only reason to get your torso in shape. Your body’s core, or the muscles in your abdominal region, back muscles, and glutes, is your body’s main source of power and is critical to both movement and protection of your body’s critical organs.
The following health benefits show why it is a good idea to strengthen your core:
- Injury prevention: Developing the muscles in your torso can help to promote stability and facilitate pain-free movement. While most people assume that our mobility is primarily accomplished by the arms and legs, in reality, all movement begins at the core and moves outward. The stronger your core muscles are, the less susceptible you will be to a motion-related injury over time.
- Protect your spine: Your core muscles, especially those in your back, serve a vital function of shielding your spinal column and central nervous system from harm as you move throughout the day. The weaker your core muscles are, the more pressure your spine will have to endure due to the lack of support, eventually resulting in pain and discomfort.
- Avoid back pain: Back pain is a common symptom of a weak core. If your abdominal muscles are weak, your back muscles will be forced to work overtime to compensate. This is especially true for people whose jobs require them to sit for extended period of time. Instead of sitting in a chair at work, try sitting on a stability ball to ensure your abdominal muscles remain engaged throughout the day.
- Improve your posture: A strong core can promote a straighter, more upright posture while your body is in motion and at rest. A taller posture can not only reduce strain on your back, but also improve your confidence!
- Boost your energy: Not only will a strong, healthy body turn heads at the beach and at the gym, it will also help you to feel better and more energetic. Strengthening your core can help you to feel less tired during the day and promote a healthy weight, especially when paired with smart dietary choices.
For more tips on how to improve your core, get in touch with the knowledgeable Monmouth County physical therapists at ProFysio Physical Therapy today. Our fellowship-trained physical therapists can create a custom-tailored exercise plan aimed at boosting your core strength and help you achieve the level of fitness you desire.Call (732) 333-6360 or schedule a consultation online today to get started.