A physical therapist can help you get more physically fit, even if you have a lot of weight you need to lose to get healthier. Physical therapy can also help you learn how to exercise pain-free while protecting your joints, especially the weight-bearing joints such as the hips and knees. You’ll also learn more about how you can effectively burn calories while building muscle mass. By going to physical therapy, you’ll learn how to exercise in a way so you don’t overexert yourself. A comprehensive physical therapy program will train you on how to exercise no matter your age or ability level, while taking into consideration the physical activity guidelines set by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
Physical Therapy Can Help You Lose Weight Safer & Faster
Your physical therapist will help you build an exercise program that address the following:
- Minimal discomfort: You’ve likely heard the phrase “no pain, no gain” when it comes to working out. This isn’t necessarily safe nor advisable, particularly if you’re very overweight and new to exercise. The program set forth by your physical therapist will help you get up and get moving, but in a way that is safe and tailored to your ability level.
- Improvement in cardiovascular fitness: “Cardio” and “aerobic” activities are those that make you move your body and sweat the most. These activities make your heart beat faster, helping boost your metabolism and burn more calories.
- Increase in strength: If you haven’t worked out in a while, it’s likely you have some muscle weakness. Building strength, although not an aerobic activity, also helps you burn more calories while making daily activities easier at the same time. Lifting weight is a low-impact exercise that pays off with persistence.
- Better movement: If you feel stiff and your joints aren’t as flexible as they once were, your physical therapist may perform “passive” motions for you and help you progress to more active movements and exercise you can do yourself.
- Increase in activity level: You and your physical therapist will make a game plan for your goals and design a program that will help you lose weight in the safest, fastest, and most effective way.
Contact Us to Get Started on Losing Weight
You don’t even need a prescription from a doctor to see a physical therapist in the state of New Jersey – all you need to do is contact us to start a specific treatment program designed to address your needs and teach you a routine you can use outside of our office. Our comprehensive, 1 on 1 treatment is free of judgement if you need extensive training on how to get healthier and lose weight. It is especially beneficial if you are experiencing pain, recovering from surgery (even bariatric surgery), you have limited mobility or motion, or if you suffer from any other disability.
Schedule your appointment by contacting us online, or dial (732) 812-5200. You can request an appointment from any of our 5 locations throughout New Jersey that will help you reach your weight loss goals!